Athletic Excellence Fund
In 2013, the former Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation, in conjunction with Sport NL, announced a new streamlined application process for all current funding opportunities available to athletes, coaches/officials. This program will encompass the Premier Athletic Awards, Elite Athletic Assistance Fund, Team Gushue Award and the SportNL Scholarships, in one application. The umbrella awards program will be known as the Athletic Excellence Fund.
One application is required
- Applications for coach education and certification are NOT funded through this program.
- Applicants must be a current member, in good standing with their respective Provincial Sport Organization (PSO).
- Athletes applying for more than one program should only complete and submit ONE application.
- Athletes may receive funding from more than one program (Premier's Athletic Awards, Elite Athlete Assistance, Team Gushue Award or the Sport NL Athletic Scholarship/ Bursary), however, athletes will only receive a Premier's Athletic Award OR Elite Athlete Assistance, not both.
- Athletes applying for funding may do so once per calendar year.
Sport NL Athletic Scholarship / Bursary
The purpose of the Sport Newfoundland and Labrador Scholarship Program is to provide financial assistance to qualifying amateur athletes, coaches and or officials to help offset the costs of training and competition.
- Applicants must be attending and be in good standing at a recognized post secondary institution on a full time basis.
- Provide an official transcript (Minimum average of 50% during the last term completed)
Applicants must adhere to the terms and conditions regarding eligibility. Please note that:
- Students currently enrolled in a recognized post secondary institution and participating in athletic, coaching, or officiating endeavors will receive priority in award selection.
- Students who have completed their post-secondary varsity athletic eligibility will not be considered for awards.
- Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Completed application forms with all supporting documentation must be received by Sport NL on or before January 29.
- The Sport Newfoundland and Labrador Scholarship Committee will make the final selections for the SportNL Athletic Scholarship.
- Awards are subject to recommendations by budget allocations, quality and number of candidates.
- The Athlete must currently be training and competing in the sport indicated and will continue to train upon receipt of an Award.
- Successful applicants of the Sport NL Athletic Scholarship/ Bursary will be sent an invitation to the Sport NL Scholarship Awards Reception.
- Violation of the program's guidelines, terms and conditions may result in forfeiture of the Award.