Hall of Fame
Brian Murphy - Athlete
Inducted October 16, 1999
For more than thirty years Brian Murphy has been active in the game of soccer and basketball. During that time he has amassed distinction and accomplishments both as a player and builder on the local, provincial and national scenes. On the soccer field and on the basketball court, his technical ability and versatility was second to none and equalled, if at all, by a very few.
In basketball, Brian was a perennial all-star from his guard position winning scoring and M.V.P. titles. In soccer however, he starred as a goalkeeper, defender and attacker winning major individual awards in all three positions as well as being selected a local and provincial all-star in all three positions.
In addition to 23 individual awards which include, soccer and basketball scoring and M.V.P. titles, top goalkeeper, top defender and most gentlemanly and effectively players awards, he has been a member of 49 championship teams both as a player and as a coach.
For the past 18 years Brian has been serving the sporting community as an elite level coach in both soccer and basketball. In addition, he has also been serving the St. John's Soccer League in all executive capacities.
The Highlights of his Career are:
- Two national championships - The C.I.A.U. Championship as a player and the National Challenge Cup as a coach.
- Induction into the St. John's and Provincial Soccer Hall of Fame.
- Memorial University's highest athletic honour Athletic Honour Society Award.
- A soccer bronze medal at the 1969 Canada Summer Games.
- Sport Newfoundland and Labrador Coach of the Year Award.
- Named the top ten of the Evening Telegram's best all-time athletes of basketball.
Back to Hall of Fame